Especially outstanding this time of year — with fresh summer corn and ripe tomatoes virtually at their seasonal peak — these bowls by The Roasted Root are a fun and healthy riff on Mexican grilled corn on the cob. Add creamy sliced avocado, crumbled queso fresco and hard-boiled eggs on top of a bed of mixed greens and rice then drizzle zesty basil-lime vinaigrette over each bowl for a flavor-packed meal. Mexican Street Corn Bowls with Basil-Lime Vinaigrette
Mexican Street Corn Bowls:
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- 5 ounces mixed greens of choice (a kale, chard and spinach blend makes for a crunchy and fiber-rich option)
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 corn cobs, grilled
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup olive or grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave, pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves or cilantro
Add all the ingredients to a small blender or food processor and blend until desired consistency is reached. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
Cook the rice according to package instructions.
While the rice is cooking, prepare the corn. Soak the corn cobs, still in husks, in water for 10 minutes. Preheat the grill to medium-high. Place corn on grill and cover. Cook 15 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until husks are blackened and corn on the inside is steamed. Remove from the grill and allow them to cool. Carefully remove and discard the husks and cut the kernels off the cob with a sharp knife.
Divide the cooked rice between 4 bowls, along with the remaining ingredients. Drizzle desired amount of basil-lime vinaigrette over the bowls and serve.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
Per serving (without vinaigrette): Calories: 497; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 178mg; Sodium: 223mg; Carbohydrate: 70g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 19g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 397mg; Iron: 19%; Vitamin A: 37%; Vitamin C: 43%; Calcium: 17%